Electronics Design Engineer
Location: University of Edinburgh Kings Buildings Campus, South Edinburgh
Founded in 2015 and headquartered in Edinburgh, Photon Force is a multi-award-winning business with a mission to provide innovative, high quality, and accurate sensor technology to facilitate research, and ultimately enable next-generation products. Until now, single photon detection and timing capabilities have only been available as separate, bulky, and low-throughput pieces of equipment. Photon Force’s products help speed up research progress by streamlining these features into a single, simple unit, easily integrated into an existing lab setup. Our current cameras have been used for a wide range of exciting and revolutionary applications, such as video-rate fluorescence lifetime imaging, advanced LiDAR systems which can image through fog and even around corners, and neural imaging to support emerging brain-computer interface research.
Photon Force has very recently secured £1.8m in research and development funding which is aimed at supporting the next stage of the company’s growth and focus on developing its product range for future revenue streams. With an exciting and diverse customer base, spanning from Silicon Valley giants such as Facebook, to leading international research institutions including MIT, KCL and Tsinghua, Photon Force has developed strong foundations on which to build for the next stage of growth.
About the Role
A newly created opportunity to contribute to the system-level integration of current and future image sensor devices into standard products, and bespoke customer applications.
You will be a technology enthusiast, keen to collaborate and design within a small, relaxed but professional multi-disciplinary team. You will have a ‘can-do’ attitude and be excited to be part of a company that pushes the boundaries of technology to new heights. You will have a robust and methodical approach to design with good communication and documentation skills to ensure your essential work can be accessible to other parties.
We provide an inclusive and collaborative environment where innovation can be fostered through continuous personal and professional development.
We are looking for an experienced Electronics Design Engineer with at least 2 to 3 years industrial experience who will work closely with our engineering teams to ultimately take responsibility for;
- System-level integration and application of PF’s growing range of image sensor devices
- Translating customer requirements into comprehensive system-level specification
- Full ownership of the product design implementation and test on FPGA
- Regular communication with internal software and VLSI design teams
- Liaise with customers to ensure our deliverables meet or exceed specification and expectation
- Revising and updating the existing product
- Developing the next generation of products
You will be able to demonstrate technical experience in the following areas:
- PCB specification and design of complex multi-layer boards
- High-speed and low-noise analogue and digital circuit design
- Familiarity with RF and best practices for best EMC performance (FCC/CE)
- Physical design including mechanical and thermal modelling
- Familiarity with PCB and device interconnect standards such as I2C, SPI, PCI etc
- Track record of evolving low-volume prototype to higher-volume products
Nice to have (it’s an advantage to have these skills but not a pre-requisite):
- Familiarity with Matlab, LabView for automation of test and measurement
- Experience with TQM for product design and manufacture (e.g. ISO9001)
- Experience with design and test of ‘chip-on-board’ module assemblies
- Design for re-use and library management using CAD tools (such as Altium Designer).
- Experience with PC data acquisition and peripheral interfaces (such as PCI, USB)
- Experience of working in an Optics focused environment would be beneficial
- Familiarity with embedded firmware (C/C++) and target micro-processor(e.g. 805x, ARM, x86)
Salary: Negotiable and based on experience
Benefits: Future Share Options Scheme (to be setup in the near future), Flexible working, Life Insurance, Discounted Membership to on-campus fitness centre, Friday social hour, 35 days holiday per annum
We look forward to hearing from you. Please send your CV in the first instance with a covering letter detailing your related experience and interest in Photon Force to firstname.lastname@example.org