Location: University of Edinburgh Kings Buildings Campus, South Edinburgh
Founded in 2015 and headquartered in Edinburgh, Photon Force is a multi-award-winning business with a mission to provide innovative, high quality, and accurate sensor technology to facilitate research, and ultimately enable next-generation products. Until now, single photon detection and timing capabilities have only been available as separate, bulky, and low-throughput pieces of equipment. Photon Force’s products help speed up research progress by streamlining these features into a single, simple unit, easily integrated into an existing lab setup. Our current cameras have been used for a wide range of exciting and revolutionary applications, such as video-rate fluorescence lifetime imaging, advanced LiDAR systems which can image through fog and even around corners, and neural imaging to support emerging brain-computer interface research.
Photon Force has very recently secured £1.8m in research and development funding which is aimed at supporting the next stage of the company’s growth and focus on developing its product range for future revenue streams. With an exciting and diverse customer base, spanning from Silicon Valley giants such as Facebook, to leading international research institutions including MIT, KCL and Tsinghua, Photon Force has developed strong foundations on which to build for the next stage of growth.
About the Role
This is a key role reporting directly to the CEO and overseeing all aspects of the company’s engineering activities. You will work closely with the CEO, as part of the leadership team, to define the business product roadmap and agreed timeframes.
This opportunity requires a highly motivated individual who thrives on achievement and is delivery focused through excellent team leadership. With a proven track record in VLSI Design you will help lead us to the next stage in our continued success. You can maintain a cool head and perform well under pressure, effectively prioritising and providing focus to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
We are a dynamic team, with ambition and opportunity and we welcome motivated Engineering Leaders who want to be part of our ongoing success.
- Planning and execution of the technical roadmap to agreed schedule, reviewing regularly,
pre-empting and solving potential issues.
- Responsible for determining people, contractors, resources and equipment required to execute
the agreed plan and creating a budget to meet these needs with the CEO and finance manager.
- Managing and coordinating external VLSI design services as necessary to support the internal
engineering team in delivering the agreed objectives.
- Line managing and mentoring the growing engineering team. Supporting their personal &
professional development and establishing a solid team structure.
- Lead the engineering team to develop and deliver engineering best-practices, processes and
- Ensure customer technical support needs and requests are handled efficiently, and analysed to
identify any underlying product or technical documentation issues, prioritising these in line with
the product roadmap.
- 3-5+ years’ industry experience in successfully leading a semiconductor design team, with a
proven career track record in either analogue or digital VLSI design.
- Strong interdisciplinary engineering skills; able to lead and engage colleagues across all engineering disciplines, including analogue, digital, hardware and software design.
- Excellent communication skills, able to engage with non-engineering disciplines.
- Ability and desire to promote a culture of best practice.
Nice to have (it’s an advantage to have these skills but not a pre-requisite):
- 10+ years industry experience
- Bachelor or Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Electronics Engineering or a related discipline
- Interest or related experience in Electronics or Sensor technology
Salary: Negotiable and based on experience
Benefits: Future Share Options Scheme (to be setup in the near future), Flexible working, Life Insurance, Discounted Membership to on-campus fitness centre, Friday social hour, 35 days holiday per annum
We look forward to hearing from you. Please send your CV in the first instance with a covering letter detailing your related experience and interest in Photon Force to firstname.lastname@example.org