Finance & Operations Manager
The company is now looking to recruit a high calibre Finance and Operations Manager to be based at their office in the University of Edinburgh’s Kings Buildings Campus, towards the South of Edinburgh. The successful candidate will report directly to and work closely with the CEO alongside the wider team, having key oversight of the business on a daily basis with a direct focus on financial strategy and establishing the operational processes required to deliver extensive and sustainable growth. In addition to the oversight of Finance, systems & process and the budgeting & reporting cycles, the Finance and Operations Manager will also be responsible for HR, Legal, Facilities Management, IT, Logistics, Inventory and Procurement.
This is a highly exciting and much sought-after role in one of Scotland’s high growth sectors that tends to attract as many investors as it does acquisitions. It is vital for Photon Force that the candidate not only matches the key attributes from a skills perspective, but also matches their ambitions to grow the business in line with their values and culture:
Key to Success
The role of Finance and Operations Manager is an integral part of the team and will be a direct support and strategic sounding board to the CEO. The role will support the growth of the company with robust and effective management reporting, systems and processes. Responsibilities will include: producing and interpreting management accounts, cash flow management, grant submissions, margin and cost analysis, exploring funding options, and developing effective Board reporting. The Finance and Operations Manager will be involved in the commercial development of the business, supporting the wider business from an operational, legal, governance, risk and controls perspective.
The role represents an excellent opportunity for a motivated finance leader who wants to work for a business that is in a very exciting stage of its growth story. In addition, the company will provide a firm career platform with a great opportunity for personal and professional development.
It is likely that the individual is a seasoned Finance Director or COO, but the role may suit a high calibre Financial Controller from a high growth organisation seeking their first opportunity in a lead finance and operations role. They will be comfortable working in a demanding environment and can develop, implement and manage effective changes across the business. It will be essential that the successful candidate can provide significant support to the CEO, whilst overseeing the company’s financial and wider business functions, and implementing a measured dashboard of business and operational KPIs.
Above all, it is critical that the person will fit well with the Photon Force company ethos and values and is happy to get involved in a number of initiatives or tasks that may not necessarily be written in a job description.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- A strong academic record and business acumen, particularly around finance and general business qualifications such as MBA or equivalent.
- Team player with an enthusiastic, positive, can-do attitude with the gravitas to lead, inspire, influence, and innovate
- Growth mindset and desire to achieve
- Demonstrable competency in strategic planning/business development and proven experience in an advisory or strategic leadership role
- Strong experience in implementing systems, processes, procedures and operational KPIs
- Track record of developing and nurturing talent within teams
- Able to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Strong self-awareness with a high level of emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills
- Self-starter, tenacious and inquisitive – uses initiative to identify opportunities and solve problems
The challenge of the Finance and Operations Manager role will be to navigate between strategy and detail, to bring passion to the role and to add strategic value across the business.
The successful candidate will need to be able to cope with uncertainty and add credibility through clear communication to the CEO and wider team.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Co-designing and implementing strategy, plans, operations and procedures
- Setting KPIs for performance and growth throughout the business
- Establishing activities to promote company culture and vision
- Overseeing daily operations of the company and the work of the team (IT, HR, Finance, Legal etc.)
- Evaluate performance by analysing and interpreting data and metrics
- Write and submit reports to the CEO and Board as required
- Assist the CEO in fundraising ventures, R&D grant funding applications and claims when required
- Participate in expansion activities (investments, acquisitions, new ventures/revenue streams)
- Preparation of annual accounts, annual budgets and cash forecasts, and re-forecasting activities throughout the year
- Production of monthly management accounts, including KPIs and other metrics to ensure the information provided supports the strategic decisions of the company
- Lead and maintain relationships with our external professional accountancy advisors for all statutory accounts, tax, R&D credits etc.
Salary: Negotiable and based on experience
Benefits: Future Share Options Scheme (to be setup in the near future), Flexible working, Life Insurance, Discounted Membership to on-campus fitness centre, Friday social hour, 35 days holiday per annum
Please click here and follow the instructions on how to apply.